Shoshone County Mining & Smelting Museum
The museum features the Bunker Hill Mining & Smelting Company and the surrounding Silver Valley. Bunker Hill was one of the oldest and largest mining companies in North Idaho. Here’s you’ll find an extensive collection of rock and mineral displays, mining history exhibits, equipment displays and local history.
The building housing the museum, referred to as the Staff House, was built in 1906 as a residence for Stanley Easton, whom was then General Manager of the Bunker Hill & Sullivan Mining & Concentrating Company. He and his wife resided in the home with their daughters until 1923 when they moved to Coeur d’Alene. The home was then informally used as a guest house and also a weekday residence for Stanley until it was moved about 300 feet east to its present location.
Interior exhibits continue to evolve as new material is added, existing material is rotated and fresh interpretive displays are assembled. The museum is also home to a significant amount of archival material relating to the Bunker Hill Mine, Smelter and Zinc Plant as well as a large collection of time books from the Mine and Smelter. The archives are currently being professionally inventoried, cataloged and preserved to be made available for research.
Open weekends in May; open every day from the end of May through early October (except Tuesdays) from 10 a.m to 6 p.m.
208-786-4141 or firstname.lastname@example.org